From Reykjavik Airport it´s only a two hour flight to the village of Kulusuk. Angmagssalik is only a 10-minute helicopter ride from Kulusuk, but this short flight is one of the highlights of the tour as you cross the ice-filled sea separating these two villages.
Angmagssalik, is known to local residents as Tasiilaq that in East Greenlandic means something resembling a lake. Angmagssalik is the largest village in East Greenland with approximately 1,400 residents. The town has a picturesque setting in a fjord surrounded by high mountains and bisected by a small river that flows through the town.
The traditional Inuit culture still plays an important role in day-to-day life, as it is only, just over 100 years since the first Europeans came to this area.
The town of Angmagssalik boasts long hours of daylight in the summer and the splendor of the northern lights in the winter. During the summer, activities include hiking and climbing for people of all abilities, as well as helicopter trips to the ice sheet or glaciers.
Sea kayaking and sailing on the fjord between icebergs, whale safaris and angling are all popular activities.
Various day tours are available in Angmagssalik/Tasiilaq:
- City walks of Tasiilaq, including a visit to the museum. Duration apx 3 hours.
- Walk to the "Valley of Flowers": Guided walking tour up the mountain behind the town, over to a beautiful waterfall. Duration apx. 2 ½ hours.
- Hike to a view point: Hiking tour up the mountain. Splendid view over the area including the ice filled sea. Coffee and tea served. Duration 4-5 hours.
- Iceberg cruise boat tour: Short sailing tour around the icebergs in the fjords outside of Tasiilaq. A photographer's must-see. Duration 2 hours.
- Boat tour to the Ikateq Village: A cruise through the ice filled fjords to a deserted settlement, where hunters lived until recently.
- Helicopter flight to the Mitivagkat Glacier: Helicopter flight to the 1000 m high Mitivagkat Glacier. Enjoy the impressive view over the surroundings including the Inland Ice Cap.
Duration: Approximately 1 hour
Hotel Angmagssalik is renowned for its magnificent location, overlooking a picturesque village, sheltered fjord and majestic mountains. The hotel is fully modernised, yet retains its friendly, informal style. The rooms are equipped with TV, telephone and ensuite facilities, with a shower. There is a restaurant and bar, a coffee lounge and TV room with Satellite TV channels.
Number of rooms: 30 with ensuite facilities, 10 rooms with shared facilities.
It is possible to stay 1 night and more at Hotel Angmagssalik. It is also possible to stay one night at Hotel Kulusuk before continuing to Angmagssalik. Please contact us for further information.